Dr. Greg Kurtz, DVM
May is a busy and exciting month in Indiana! The farmers are well into their planting season and working with spring forages, many important activities on livestock farms of every sector, and our youth are looking forward to County Fairs that will begin in June. Spring flowers are in full bloom in early May and we enjoy strawberries at the end of the month. We can follow the Kentucky Derby on May 6 and listen to the Indy 500 on May 28. National Pet Week is May 7-13; go to avma.org/PetWeek for more information and to access the National Pet Week toolkit.
Lunch & Learn Webinar
Creating Lives Worth Living – New Perspectives in Suicide Prevention
Dr. Jen Brandt
If you have ever asked a friend, family member, or colleague to talk with you about suicide and suicide prevention, did they:
· look at you with alarm and walked (or run) away?
· tell you not to talk about unpleasant topics?
· cite (mis) information they’ve gathered from non-credible sources?
· acknowledge they know someone who has died by suicide?
· disclose they have experienced thoughts of suicide themselves?
· share that they’d like to be more involved in prevention efforts, but are afraid of causing harm, or don’t know where to begin?
If so, you are not alone.
Space is still AVAILABLE! Register you and your veterinary technicians for “Hands on Learning” with the upcoming Hematology Wet Lab, with our featured speaker Dr. Joanne B. Messick. This wet lab will be held during the afternoon of May 17, 2023, at the Purdue College of Veterinary Medicine, Wests Lafayette, IN. Space is limited to the first 48 registrants and this wet lab is open to both veterinarians and veterinary technicians.
From the Executive Director
Lisa Perius, CAE
I hope everyone is taking good care of themselves since we last connected. IVMA continues to work hard to articulate and affirm your member value. Here are a few examples:
• The State Fair Surgery Suite will be back in action during this summer’s Indiana State Fair. We are looking for volunteers to perform surgeries or narrate. If you have any interest, call or email me. We will provide you with directions and even tickets to get into the fair. This is a great opportunity for a micro-volunteering experience that has a big impact!