|Animal Welfare Committee|
IVMA One Welfare Principles
Adopted by the Indiana Veterinary Medical Association Board of Directors
September 5, 2013
Humans have a unique responsibility to be wise stewards of animals. This relates to how we care for the environment we share with wildlife and to the husbandry of domestic animals used for food, fiber and companionship. The best science available from the fields of biology, behavioral science and other disciplines should be used to make legitimate welfare determinations for animals.
As veterinarians, we endorse the following eight “IVMA One Welfare” principles, founded on our education, experience, commitment to and compassion for animals:
1. Animals are capable of feeling pain and distress, and should be treated with respect.
2. Responsible stewardship of animals used for human purposes is consistent with the Veterinarian’s Oath. The animals’ interests must be thoughtfully considered by individuals and society when determining acceptable care and use. This requires the application of the best scientific knowledge, guided by applicable ethical values.
3. Animals should be provided with water, nutrition, and an environment appropriate to their care and use, with consideration for their safety, health and species-specific biological needs and behavior.
4. Whether used for food and fiber production, recreation, companionship, transportation, work, education, or the advancement of scientific knowledge, the use of animals should always be balanced against the greater benefit to other animals, humans, and society.
5. Responsible animal stewardship minimizes fear, pain, stress and suffering.
6. Animal owners and caretakers must provide for the animal’s timely and appropriate medical care by licensed veterinarians.
7. Reproductive management of animal populations should be socially responsible and scientifically prudent.
8. Animals should be provided a humane death by a recognized humane method when their quality of life is poor and not correctable or as part of the processing of animals for human use.
IVMA One Welfare Articles
July, 2013 – “One Welfare: It’s The Circle of Life, Simba!” - click here
September, 2013 – “We Are Experts on All Things Animal, Right?” – click here
November, 2013 – “One Equine Practitioner’s Perspective” – click here
January, 2014 – “A View of Commercial Dog Breeding” – click here
March, 2014 – “The Bovine Medicine Perspective” – click here
September, 2014 - "National Organic Program Certification" - click here
IVMA One Welfare Awards
2/5/2015 » 2/8/2015
IVMA 2015 Annual Meeting Exhibitor Booth Space Contract